Game Vision Statement

My vision statement for my video game is a plan for what I want to do to implement my idea in Unity 3D. It describes my specific idea, how it will work, what I will need for it, inspiration and a vision for a final product. 

I have gone between wanting to make an action or survival/horror game and I have decided on an action/adventure as I find the latter will be more fun for me to create due to a more artistic input from me, and I think in the former which I wanted to make 3D will need a bit less. Therefore a more enjoyable game for me to create will turn out a lot better.

I have settled on wanting to make a 2D platform game, inspired by the Mario Brothers series, the Smash Brothers game, Brawlhalla and several other platform games, all of which are a mix between action, roleplaying, and adventure. 

A classic Mario Brothers platform game.


It will be an adventure and action game, where you run though a level and fight or avoid “bad” guys, while picking up powerups and/or health, while also jumping from platform to platform and trying not to fall in between two platforms. There may be a level system, such as different maps, all with their different appearances and bad guys.
The game will feature a pixel style setting, a good example of what I am describing is present in the game “Shovel Knight” (https://ie.ign.com/articles/2017/03/07/shovel-knight-treasure-trove-review) it is a 2D platform action/rpg that features many charming pixel maps a little pixel character you control. This is an ideal reference point for me, as it has the sort of pixel graphics I will put into the game.


An example of the pixel maps in Shovel Knight.

I would definitely want to create some backgrounds that have a nature and/or  fantasy theme and I want them to be colourful and immersive.

My character will be my own creation, I would like them to be a fighter with a weapon like a sword, scythe or an axe. The "bad guys" in the game they will have to fight will probably depend on the design of the protagonist aka the main character you control, so their design is still undecided. 

As for sound effects, the game will have some music playing in the background, either fast paced music or fantasy themed music that is more calming, like something you’d find playing casually at the background of a Lord of the Rings movie. The music will obviously be non copyrighted and made for free use. I want there to be some sound effects for the action, such as clanging sounds if you’re using a sword for example. I would even like some jumping sound effects, such as the classic Mario “boing” sound that happens when you jump. I will not have anyone speak in the game as I feel this goes into story/rpg territory when I want to be focused purely on the action and immersion into this little 2D world.

For platforms, this is definitely a game made for PCs/Macs and will not be playable on any other consoles.

The mechanics of the game will remain fairly standard, such as using the arrow keys or the WASD keys to move. As this game is targeted for PC, you could use the mouse for attacks, using the right or left mouse button. A jump feature will also be present, and you could use typical keys like the shift key and the spacebar to jump, as is present in several PC platform games. I will also implement a health bar that goes down if you get hurt by an enemy.
These will all create some interactions in the game that are quite standard, such as being able to outmanoeuvre enemies or fight them.

First off, I will draw up some concept art of backgrounds and a character you will control. I will create some pixel backgrounds myself or I will find some online (obviously licensed for free use and non copyrighted). I then will need to create some platforms which shouldn’t be too hard as platforms are usually rectangular or squares, and these assets are easy to create in Unity 3D. The character will take a bit more time. I will then need to implement sound effects and music into the game afterwards and code character/enemy and character/platform interactions in C#.

This my vision statement for what I would like my game to be, it’s mechanics and controls, an idea for concept art, and how I intend to achieve it.

Image references:


Comments

  1. Hi Anna, I like your idea of a shovel knight style RPG but it can't be 2D. That doesn't mean you can't make a side sroller platform. You can do everything you mentioned above but just make it 3D like the new Mario games for example. Basically a 3D sidescroller. I'm pretty sure you could also make it pixelated. The question is, what else are you gonna add to it? You put a lot of detail into your idea but it feels like you're still in the brainstorm phase. Is the game going to have an antagonist? You could add spawn and save points like the bonfires in Dark Souls. Basically you have to find and light a bonfire in order to save the game, it can also act as a spawn point. Overall I really like your idea and I'd love to play it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna, i really like the idea of making it a 2d action adventure, the only problem is you will have to source a lot of the needed tutorials as the ones we got up to this point were all 3d based, but if you got the time and drive i say go for it, i like the concept you came up with either way it sounds like a lot of fun to make and play, like as if super Mario and crash bandicoot merged, looking forward to seeing the finished game :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anna! Looks like you've done your research here, great post! An action/adventure game is something that will appeal to everyone, it's good that you decided which type of game you'll enjoy creating more. The Mario games are always a great source of inspiration for many things, you mentioned that you want to make a 2D platform game did you mean 3D? I'm sure you could add in 2D elements but I think the overall game has to be 3D. Either way your concept will work well. Best of luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Final GDD

Game Design Document