Games Stories

This week I have read more into the "story" part of games. Up to now, the readings have been expressed from a perspective of a system of rules that when followed, would create a game that was "fun". This week I looked at what makes a good story in a video game, and how it makes us enjoy a game more.

A stronger story as opposed to a weaker story works on a cause and effect, for example en event happens, and another event happens because of it. The reading talks about a 3 point story structure and it reminds me a bit of what I learn in my Digital Video Techniques as movies are so story focused. It reminds me of how you'd write a screenplay.

3 Act Story Structure


Aristotle laid out six elements that makes up a stage play:
 

 However, the article also mentions that generally you don't create a good story by following a formula or a template, but you can look at patterns of what makes a good story and apply them yourself.

Then you must create either a strong character or a character that we can project ourselves onto, and I think creating a "strong" character can be very difficult. There is then the hero story most people are very familiar with including myself - an ordinary character gets a call to action and goes on a big journey. I think, like the reading says, this is easier to describe than to implement because again, stories are not formulas and templates.

I love to write stories and read a few suggestions about what makes a good story. This article gives some unique perspectives on it.

I'm a huge fan of story driven games. For example, Heavy Rain is a favorite of mine as not only is the gameplay amazing but the story is genuinely very intense and has a big twist near the end which was very unexpected. GTA San Andreas is a very different game, but has a great story to it as well. This list of the best story driven games has some favorites of mine. It makes me look back on the reading and compare what was suggested to make a good story and character and see how these are actually applied to games story based games that I love. 

I think a great story in a game can make it so memorable - take The Last of Us for example, which was so well received not only because of gameplay but because of the emotional storyline. Having a compelling story can be so important in my opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Final GDD

Game Design Document